How do I file a Motion to Adjudge in Willful Contempt in Rhode Island Family Court?
Why add an alimony request in my divorce complaint if I don't qualify for it?

How do I take back my former name in a Rhode Island Divorce proceeding?

Picture of Attorney Christopher Pearsall
Atty Chris Pearsall

Authored By:  Christopher Pearsall, RI Divorce Attorney
a.k.a.  " The Rhode Island Divorce Coach ℠ "

See me on Google+.

See my Publisher information on Google+.

Resuming a maiden or a former name in a divorce proceeding, whether it is a contested or uncontested proceeding is quite simple.

Many people know that they want to resume a former name at the time they file their initial divorce complaint or their counterclaim for divorce.  When you do so there is a section that asks for the relief you are looking for in the proceeding.  In that "request for relief paragraph" you simply include a statement that you want to resume your maiden or former name of "SMITH" or whatever it may be.

In the event that you neglect to include the request to take back a maiden name or a former name the court will usually allow you to amend your complaint or counterclaim either by a written or an oral motion to the court requesting that you be allowed to do so.  It is usually accepted by most judges in either contested cases or in uncontested/nominal hearing cases.