If a Rhode Island Judge Helps me, Why do I need the help of a RI Divorce Lawyer?
Testimonial for Rhode Island Divorce Lawyer* Christopher A. Pearsall

RI Driver's License Suspended for Non-payment of RI Child Support and help is needed.

RI Child Support Question:

I lost custody of my daughter a couple of years ago. I was a single mother. Her father ran out on us when she was 1 and then later took me to court and stole her from me. I wasn't working and he has money and took advantage of the situation. I ended up losing her and the court wanted me to pay child support that I could not afford. They threatened to lock me up. I ran to live with my new boyfriend in MA. Now they suspended my license. What can I do? I need help.

thank you


Dear Unknown,

I suggest you file a Motion for Relief or Motion to Modify Child Support in Rhode Island Family Court. Running away and ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. You are going to need to make some kind of arrangement through either that proceeding or through whatever state proceeding already exists that resulted in the suspension of your license for the non-payment of child support. You should be aware that the Rhode Island Child Support Guidelines were just adjusted which may result in an even higher amount of child support that you are required to pay. One way or another you should expect that you are going to have to pay ongoing child support at whatever the rate is calculated at plus and additional amount toward your arrearage.


Usually when your license is suspended you will be expected to come up with a lump sum amount of money in order to get a repayment program started. That will vary substantially depending upon how much is unpaid and you should not expect the court to look favorably on you for running away from your child support obligation. Keep in mind that the longer you avoid your child support obligations the harder it is going to be to get your license back because the amount you owe will continue to grow by the periodic payment you were ordered to make plus interest at 12% per annum.


All my Best to All Who Go Before the Rhode Island Family Court,

I am Attorney Christopher A. Pearsall and I am "The Rhode Island Divorce Coach."